Thread: Boss AC-2 (Acoustic Simulator)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boss AC-2 (Acoustic Simulator)

I had a chance to recently demo a friends Boss AC-2 pedal and thought I'd through out some feedback here with what I thought were some strong and weak points.

I tested it with a PV C-30 and a Nashville Power Tele with the Fishman Piezo pickups. I've used the Piezo pickups through a Roland JC-120 before with decent results, but could never get a good acoustic sound through the tube PV C-30.

Using the AC-2 with the Peavey and the Tele's magnetic pickups, I couldn't get any tones on any of the settings (Standard, Jumbo, Enhance, Piezo) that really came close to resembling an acoustic. I know it's only a simulator, but it wasn't overly effective. I think the results of how well this pedal will work for you depends greatly on the amp you're using. With the PV... not so good, but may sound much better with yours, so you may want to try it prior to buying if you can.

Now when I used the pedal with the Tele's Piezo's on either the AC-2's Standard or Piezo settings, I got a really accurate acoustic sound coming out of the PV amp. It was articulate, open, and bright... maybe to bright. There is a control to reduce top end, so I'll just dial that down a bit or use an eq pedal for when and if I continue to use this pedal.

Has anyone else had any experience with the AC-2? I know they've released an updated version (AC-3) that uses their COSM technology, so that one may be a better pedal to look into if you're in the market.
    Cheers
    David
    Last edited by Algonquin; July 9th, 2009 at 08:55 AM. Reason: spelling...
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

I´ve only tried the AC-2 and I think it did a good job on delivering a "acoustic style" sound from a standard strat through a PA. No acoustic guitar sounds good through a electric guitar amp anyway.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to agree that it would probably sound great with single coils through a PA, but for your everyday player using an amp at home... it might not deliver.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

It would probably sound better through the JC120 tho, but I have to agree that these kind of pedals "aint there" yet.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    It would probably sound better through the JC120 tho'
    +1 on that. The JC is one of those amps that can do so many things so well. It's great with the piezo's without the AC-2, and I'll have to try it later on too. Keyboards and Synths sound great throug the JC as well :
    Gearlist:

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh nothing sweeter than a mellow JC, I sure miss my old 120