Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Set-up Measurements

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am enjoying the heck out of my new sound (thanks to a few guys on this forum). I have been playing a few days now and I am very happy with the clean tone. I even re-did my other 2 guitars by lowering the pick-ups. I am guessing with the picks-ups being so close to the strings, the tone would have been fuzz and distorted no matter what amp I used.

I guess it is time for me to get serious with my learning how to play the guitar. I am surfing the net to find a decent instructional website. I am still open for any DVDs anybody can recommend for learning. I picked up a DVD with Albert Lee as the host. Boy can that guy pick or what! This has taught me to be more versatile in my music listening venue. I need to be opened to more players regardless the style they play.

Now as any guitar player will do, I want to learn how to use effects. I will be posting a few questions under the topic of “Pedal”.

I hope I am nor asking too many questions for you more expert players. I have learned more about guitars from the members on this board than anywhere else I have been. I am glad I found this forum.

Enjoy your weekend and keep pickin”.

Tim
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tim , when learning you can never ask too many questions, i've read some of your posts and my understanding is that you are a new player , here are a couple of suggestions for what its worth . Go to a chord /tab site and find the chords for 4 songs that you are familiar with , these sites will include the chords and lyrics as well as diagrams for the chords for each song , stick with just 4 and practice , practice them till you know them inside out , play them in the dark , start thinking a chord or two ahead as you become familiar with the tune , if unsure download the song and listen , then play along .. heres a great site for finding chords and tabs for popular songs .. www.chordie.com
    Dont wory about TONE, its such a subjective thing ..learn to play in tune ..as far as set ups are concerned heres a great site http://www.fender.com/support/ .. also www.mrgearhead.com all the set up info you will need can be found there , dont touch the truss rod if you dont know what you are doing , its easy to mess it up ... finally get out and see and listen to as many live players as you can , listen to how they sound , look at how they put it all together ..these are just some basic guidelines , remember that nobody knows it all and you have to learn at your own pace , i'll guarantee that one day you will have your eurika day when it will come easy and you will amaze yourself ...and you will play for hours and forget what time it is ...the main thing is to keep it simple( dont get bogged down with effects and amp tweaking that will come ) and give yourself time, and keep it fun .. 6S9L

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tim - 69SL has some great suggestions for a beginning player such as yourself. Everyone here on this forum has shared the experience of being a new player, esp. from the standpoint of wanting to learn. About (9) or (10) years ago, I decided to re-commit myself to learning the guitar. Although I'd been playing for some (13) or so years at that point, I wanted more out of my playing. One thing that really helped me out was getting a book called "Scales & Modes for Guitar" by Steve Hall and Ron Manus. The book came with a CD that demonstrated the techniques in the book. So, not only were you learning from a visual (book) standpoint, you were also hearing it on the CD. Kind of a "double-whammy", so to speak. This format of learning helped me out immensely, and allowed me to really understand what I was actually playing. Plus, you can go over the lesson as many times as you like, allowing you to learn at your own pace. The Scales & Modes book / CD package was all of $10. Most defnintely worth the money. Later on, after I had mastered the lessons in that book, I bought another - "Fretboard Roadmaps", by Fred Skudlow (a Hal Leonard book) - yet another excellent resource for chord patterns. I think that one (which also included a CD) was around $13. So, for under $25, you can have (2) great books that are packed with information. Both of these books are available at Music Books Plus - here are the links:

http://musicbooksplus.com/basix-scal...d=1&ref=66
    http://musicbooksplus.com/fretboard-...1e3da5ffb935fa

Chord / scale books might be another useful tool for you to consider - esp. when it comes to learning some basic scales & chord progressions. I still refer to both of these books often, and consider them valuable playing resources. Like 69SL has already said, make sure you keep it fun. If you're having fun and enjoying yourself, the learning will come naturally. Here's wishing you good playing.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok! And thanks guys.

Looks like I have a long road to hoe (so to speak). But I am in for the whole commitment, which includes purchasing, reading, studying, practicing and memorizing. I will look for the books at the local B&N. They carry a lot of guitar books there.

Nelskie, if I get suck or have questions, you maybe the first person I contact.

Thanks
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Anytime, my friend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12