Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gary Moore passed away - RIP

Post Thanks / Like

A great loss for music. He was an outstanding guitarist.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Lev;199838]I remember as a teenager hearing Still got the Blues for the first time and the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times thats happened to me. I hear ya Lev there has been only a handful of guitar players that have stood my neck hairs up,Gary was one of them.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Truly a guitar giant. He could play any genre he wanted to, and still pull it off with sincerity and feeling. RIP, fretboard warrior.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Reactions

Scott Gorham (Thin Lizzy): Gary Moore's passing has been a huge shock to us, his friends, and to all of us who had the chance to play and create some cool and memorable musical moments together. My heart goes out to Gary's family, who I know loved him very much. You will be missed, old friend.”

Brian Downey (Thin Lizzy): “I am in total shock. He will always be in my thoughts and prayers and I just can't believe he is gone.”

Vivian Campbell (Def Leppard, currently touring with Thin Lizzy): “Another of my guitar heroes died today; first Marc Bolan, then Rory Gallagher, now Gary Moore. It'll be strange playing ‘Still in Love with You Tonight’ (sic).”
    Joe Bonamassa: “I wouldn't be doing what I do if it wasn't for him. I'm sure I'm not the only person who can say that."

Kee Marcello (Europe): “The first time I heard him play was on the first Skid Row album. I remember on the record sleeve it said, ‘Gary Moore - 17 years old - lead guitar’ and, even back then, he was amazing. I loved Colosseum II and then, of course, his work with Thin Lizzy. Black Rose was just incredible. His sense for melodies reminded me of Jeff Beck; he had superior technique, melody and feel and knew where to play a lot and where not to play. His later work turned on a whole new generation to the blues. It is very sad to see him pass at a way-too-young age. I will miss him.”

Bob Geldof: “He is one of the great blues players. Axl Rose will say that without Thin Lizzy you don't get Guns N' Roses, and that whole idea of rock and roll, and Gary was sort of fundamental in developing that twin-guitar, lyrical thing like on “Parisienne Walkways.” But really you didn't have to cut the skin hard to find just a great, great blues player, and absolutely one of the best."
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

This interview is worth having a look. I think it's pretty recent. Great playing here too.

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/gu...nd-jazz-223517
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

He's looking like he's put on some weight. I wonder if that contributed to his death?

Robert - do you know what scale or mode he's using to play the jazz stuff at 3:35?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't get that video to play on my machine again! I was surprised he played jazz so well, I never knew. I'll have to answer your question later Spud, when I get the video to play.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be nice to see his Gibson going back to the original owner.....Peter Green.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Lev do you still have your "Lemon drop"? If so I bet it will definitely be a keeper now.

I read this week that they figure it was a heart attack.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
    Hey Lev do you still have your "Lemon drop"? If so I bet it will definitely be a keeper now.

I read this week that they figure it was a heart attack.
    No, it was a great guitar but over time I found I was playing it less and less so I sold it on. Yeah, just watching some of Garys videos uploaded here this week made me want to play it again.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Very sad. RIP, Gary.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    No, it was a great guitar but over time I found I was playing it less and less so I sold it on. Yeah, just watching some of Garys videos uploaded here this week made me want to play it again.
    I was that way with my Icon Gold Top. I was pissed at all the noise from the p90s. Then I got the Vibro Champ, and the Super ChampXDs. I guess because of the way they process the signal with the gain already in, the noise is gone. Now I play it all the time. I had to have a fret level done on it a while back but that made it perfect action wise.
    It is amazing how many big artists claim he was influential in their playing. Bonamassa especially.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    This is my first memory of him. I just noticed he's getting a little help from Ian Paice.
    Man, that takes me back. That was my first exposure of him too. I played in a working band back in the 80's and we did 'Shapes', Gary's version. I had never heard of him at the time. The bass player was telling me how talented he was etc. I liked the song, but never got into Gary until much later in my life. I wish I would have caught the ride way back then.

It's indeed a terrible loss. Such a shame that it came so relatively early.
    Steve
    P R O J E C T - 4 3
    http://www.project-43.com/
    Support Indie Music!
    http://itunes.com/project-43

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12