Thread: NGD! 2008 Jackson RR5

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD! 2008 Jackson RR5

Whelp, I couldn't help myself. I ended up with some "disposable" income to I bought that 2008 Jackson RR5! That's the Randy Rhoads body shape. It's got the classic ivory paint job with black pinstripes. Alder body, maple neck with rosewood fretboard. MOTS sharkie inlays. The pickups are both Duncan JBs, the trembucker in the bridge and the standard spacing in the neck. 22 jumbo frets. Tune-O-Matic bridge with string-through-body. Hard shell case. There will be more info to follow. I spent today restringing it and setting it up. The previous owner liked very high action so I had to bring the bridge down. There was also a bit too much neck relief, but the truss rod moves smoothly.

Amazing the pointy bits on the body and the headstock are immaculate. Normally there's almost always dings. The only way you can tell wear is because the gold plating on the hardware is wearing. Actually the patina looks cool. The shop had been selling it for $1100 which is what they are selling for on Reverb. It had been there for a year. He figured he'd only get $900 after Reverb fees and he really didn't want to try to ship the awkward case. If I gave cash, he'd cover the tax. One trip to the bank later...

I've always wanted a Rhoads like this one, now I have it!

Edit: blast from the past. Not USA, but still... Also, five years after that post I got my current JCA22H Soldano-designed head.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Great news congrats! Hopefully you can post pix and perhaps sounds. Happy NGD!
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helliott View Post
    Great news congrats! Hopefully you can post pix and perhaps sounds. Happy NGD!
    The Fret was down for a bit when I was trying to do that. I've been setting it up. I can get the action sooooo low without any buzzing. The neck seems a bit thicker than my DK2M. Still definitely a D shape.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a busy week! I was called in for jury duty but not selected. I did, however, get a picture taken. You can see the only obvious signs of wear on the pickguard. Otherwise the finish and frets are in excellent shape. I think I've got it set up the way I like it. You could basically set the action as low as you would like.

PXL_20240814_023133266.MP.jpg

Update: Just found a Jackson price list from 2008. With the ivory finish and black pinstripes the MSRP was $1869.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a killer axe. Congrats again on a great addition!
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah