Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The weekend Thread - Page 33
Page 33 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: The weekend Thread

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I'm doing the half marathon on May 2nd. Are you around then? If any other Vancouverites are in the area after the race, perhaps we all could snag a beer or two.

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon
    Congratulations! Are you running in the Sun Run? I'm doing the 10k. I'm a total fat-*** but I'll make the whole 10k. If you are here, I'll buy you a few beers after the run if you have the time.

Cheers!

don
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Took Derek (my oldest son, 12) to soccer in Boise yesterday, and he wanted to go to GC between games to look for a Weezer book. He prefers the sheet music over tab. Got to check out a CV pinecaster in person, that looked and felt great, but had a banged up pickguard. If I was flush in the guitar $$ department, I might have made them an offer based on the banged up PG.

Today was the last day of lift served skiing, and I went up with my daughter to enjoy warm, springy, slushy, day! Lots of good people watching with the locals out dressed in crazy garb, swimsuits, etc. I wore short sleaves skiing once back in high school, and ended up with road rash on my elbow that looked a bit like Spud's knee. But with abrasive, granular slush rubbed in, not pavement.

It was a fun day!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

i had a very busy weekend but i need to start on thursday....and will have to make two posts because of too many pics....

thursday: day 1 of 2 days of field trips with my daughter to an environmental center....the highlight of the two days being the "mudwalk"....a hike through mud trails that were very deep and mucky....

the beginning of the mudwalk trail....

friday: day 2 of the field trip....dry day....lots of hiking through different floirda eco-systems....we learned how to read compasses and at the end of the field trip a boy in my group tripped, fell down and broke his arm....
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Default part 2

as soon as i got back from day 2 of the field trip i packed up and headed out with my friend karen to juniper springs in the ocala national forest for some camping and an awesome canoe trip!

a couple of pics saturday morning of fog rolling in....

the canoe trip down juniper springs was awesome (but expensive...i'll get to that part later)

the juniper springs canoe run is rated one of the top 10 in the country....it is a very challenging 7 mile run with lots of tight turns, fallen trees (some you had to navigate under with very little clearance and some you had to maneuver around or over)....the 7 mile trip took 4 1/2 hours....here are a few pics and then we will get to the expensive part!

here is where we pulled over for lunch....

now for the expensive part....after lunch we headed back out and 5 minutes later we flipped our canoe! no not because of a particularly difficult section of the run but because we started a water splashing fight with our paddles and it got out of control and we flipped....the canoe completely submerged....everything got soaked including my camera and my car keys....a canoer behind us stopped and jumped in to help me get the canoe from under the water and emptied and flipped back over (i had helped another canoer earlier on that had flipped their canoe)....we also lost one of the paddles s for over half the trip i was the only one with a paddle....challenging since there was very few straight runs....lots of maneuvering was needed....including some small rapids.....

my camera is ruined so no pictures of the gator we saw or anything else after our flip (luckily the pictures on the card were retrievable so we didn't lose the pics we had already taken) and my keyless entry for my car is ruined too....it will cost about 500-600 bucks to replace both....other than that it was a great time....the most challenging canoe trip i've ever been on....

saturday night: chilled by the fire....

sunday.....took a hike, packed up and headed home....took a nap.....
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

I'm around. I'd love to meet up with you and any other people in the area. What's a time that works for you? Are you going to be downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    No, I'm doing the half marathon on May 2nd. Are you around then? If any other Vancouverites are in the area after the race, perhaps we all could snag a beer or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    as soon as i got back from day 2 of the field trip i packed up and headed out with my friend karen to juniper springs in the ocala national forest for some camping and an awesome canoe trip!
    Does that ever look fun! Sorry about the extra expenses but you have the right attitude, these things happen. Thanks for the great photos.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey that looked like fun, Warren! Too bad about the camera... I wish I can visit that area some time. I've never been to Florida.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Congrats to Robert!

Warren-- your trip was eerily like one I and Mrs. Krashpad took on a very small river up here, iirc the Waccasassa River, years ago. We went with my boss and his SO. Lots of logs in and across and under the river, and my boss flipped his canoe and lost his camera, and we all went in looking for it, but never found it. Ended up eating lunch in our underwear in a very unsuccessful attempt to get the clothes dried out before putting them back on. Didn't get to the southern end of the run until it was getting dark and we were shivering. Probably the first time I ever went canoeing, haha!

Friday:

Brought home some pizza, Jack (13) had a friend over to stay the night.

Saturday:

Flag football game at 9 a.m. Other side was way taller, Jack's team stayed in it during the first half but the other side pulled away during the second. Went home and did some cleaning.

Church band practice at 1 p.m. More cleaning at home on return. Went out to dinner with friends at Las Margaritas (iirc this is where Warren and I had lunch when he was up here) and went to a club thereafter (beat the cover) that is a few blocks away. Although the club is very near my office, I'd never been. My work editor's Top 40 band frequently plays there, and sure enough they were there that night. They're very good but reminded me how little I like Top 40, though I'm sure their sets would've got better as the night progressed, material-wise. Also, I'm used to being the oldest person in most of the clubs I go to, but that was definitely not the case there. Considered dancing but didn't. There was enough people out there doing the "Caucasian Lurch," and besides the first set and a half (when we left) didn't have a lot of rockers that I would want to dance to anyhow.

Sunday:

Church screwed up and scheduled Jack to crucifer at the 8:30 service (we go to the 11:00 a.m., which I and my daughter play at), so I dropped him off, then hung out at my office (closer to church than Casa Krashpad) until my 9:30 run-through for the 11 o'clock service. Which went well, although again we only played 3 songs. No mando this week. Played my LP Studio DC on all 3 songs. During run-through I had Jack go get my go-box out of the van, and he left the keys in the back seat. While breaking down after the service I realized I had no idea where my keys were. Called the house to make sure he hadn't taken the keys home (his mom came and picked him up so he didn't have to sit through late service) and after speaking with him eventually found them.

Home for more cleaning, watched Good Fellas and Pulp Fiction (on AMC cable channel) while working, but had to turn the TV off during some of the more extreme scenes in the latter (he's already scene the cable version of Good Fellas) so Jack wouldn't see them. He thought Jules's wallet was hilarious though.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you had a lot of fun there, Warren.

That's the Florida that most tourists never see...the Halpatiokee.

I like taking visiting relatives canoeing or kayaking on the Loxahatchee River. Get them away from the beaches and let them see wild Florida.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Warren, looks like you had a great weekend! Sorry about the camera and keyless entry system. Brian, sounds like another typical busy-busy weekend. We actually had NOTHING planned this past weekend - same thing this weekend, which is rare. My wife and I both work in the school system and we're on Spring Break this week. No real plans just take it easy. Yesterday (Wednesday) we rode to Macon to check our daughter and tomorrow, we're thinking about riding to Panama City for the day.
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Panama City, capital of the "Redneck Riviera!" Obviously no reference to you Ronnie Beth. I love the Panhandle and wish we could get up there more often. In July we're going to stay in a house up on Cape San Blas near Port St. Joe:

It's on the Bay side but has beach access privileges on the Gulf side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Panama City, capital of the "Redneck Riviera!" Obviously no reference to you Ronnie Beth. I love the Panhandle and wish we could get up there more often. In July we're going to stay in a house up on Cape San Blas near Port St. Joe:

It's on the Bay side but has beach access privileges on the Gulf side.
    No argument there, Brian. It is the "Redneck Riviera", but I've been to the Atlantic coast a few times and I'll take the sugar white beaches of the Gulf Coast any day. Beautiful white sands, not much garbage washed ashore and plenty of two-legged scenery to enjoy. The wife and kids love the beach and it's only a 2 hour ride to get there. Makes for a good day trip.

PC has really improved over the last 10 years. Most of the dumpy little motels are gone now and replace with condos or new multiplex houses. It's not the same place I grew up going to. I haven't been to St. Joe in years, but I've heard a lot of good about Cape San Blas. Several friends here who go there regularly. When in July are you going? We might be able to hook up.
    We're going to PC July 7-11th. So, let me know for sure.
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

We'll be in Cape San Blas the last week of July, Ron.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    We'll be in Cape San Blas the last week of July, Ron.
    Sounds good Brian. I'll see what I can do. Maybe we can hook up.
    Ronnie

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldron
    Sounds good Brian. I'll see what I can do. Maybe we can hook up.
    That'd be bosstastic.

I'm planning on doing a lot of guitaring that week.

Post Thanks / Like

No weekend for me.. even had to cancel practice today.. :-(

Friday - Worked 5a-5p, then took a psych patient way downstate from way upstate... 10.5 hours of travel.

Saturday - Got home in time saturday morning to leave for class. Needless to say, I bombed the course I took. I can retake it though, I think.

Today - School 8-4. Home. Don't talk to me. :-P
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Friday
    : In-laws came down from Atlanta. Got a call from MiL's sister that her mom, whom they had taken to stay with MiL's sis, had fallen and possibly broken her hip. Sis was taking to hospital. Great.

Saturday: The family drove into town for son's Confirmation rehearsal and brunch. My wife hadn't asked about what was going on that morning so son hadn't brought a copy of his speech. Of course, he needed it, so I had to immediately drive back out to the house and get it, missing brunch. Came back to church and ate in church lobby during rehearsal. At least they saved me a plate.

Took son (Jack) to Toys-R-Us to check on a video game, not in yet. Then to a haircut (which he hated) and finally home. In-laws decide they can't stay for Confirmation due to the broken hip thing and return to Atlanta.

Here's Jack opening the nice study Bible he got from Mrs. K's folks:

Jack with my in-laws:

I had a long afternoon practice with Cinnamon Hill, my acoustic-based folk rock side band in preparation for our Thursday gig. Worked out a lot of which instrument I would play on which song, driving logistics (it's in a nearby town, not Gainesville), etc. Watched English comedies on PBS TV that night.

Sunday: Pre-service run-through at church, then Jack's Confirmation at 11:00 a.m. Here's Jack shaking hands outside church:

With the pastor:

At the end of the service, there was a congregational budget meeting. Just as my wife and daughter were about to leave, they got corralled into the meeting because they didn't have a quorum. So Jack and I had to stop on the way home to get supplies for the party. Meanwhile, a big windstorm came through with wind and rain. It actually hailed for a few minutes!

After the service, we invited anyone in the praise band over to the house, since we were prepped for guests but no longer had any. When we got home we found a BIG tree down in our backyard, but thankfully no damage to Casa Krashpad or the cars. Our high schooler sound guy came over, and eventually, the praise band leader (who I'm also in a side band with). Jack played video games all afternoon and early evening with the sound guy. Had lots of good food. Watched the "National Treasure" movies on TV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

1st of May eve last night...had three other couples at our place, bbq'd 4 the first time - official start of summertime - then proceeded to drinking heavily as the custom is. Of course made sure the kids get to bed in between :-)

Quite a nice evening, especially since we had our Russian friends and a French girl in the party, which meant we all spoke English only, which is always nice. Don't get to speak it enough usually. Shoulda also asked our Indian friends over for a really multinational party!
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, last night was our annual Relay for Life. One of the guys in the adult praise and I was going to do the sound. Our adult praise band and our youth praise band were both supposed to play, along with various other singers and small groups. Some of it was for entertainment and some of it for the "talent contest" the teams were competing in.

All week long, the weather had been great. Thursday afternoon, there wasn't a cloud in the sky and the temp was in the upper 80's. The school I work at had ordered a new portable stage and we set it up then, in anticipation of the Relay's events. But that was before Friday.

Woke up yesterday and it looked dreary from the get-go. 0% of rain all week - 30% on Friday. Moisture starting to roll in from the Gulf of Mexico, building up scattered showers. We were slated to start at 6, which we pretty much did, but by then, it had rained off and on for a couple of hours. We grudgingly made the decision NOT to set up our bands equipment as we didn't want to get anybody hurt or ruin our stuff. We did set up a basic sound system for announcements and the singers.

The night went OK weather-wise, with SOME periods of no rain, but overall it was getting worse. It finally stopped long enough for the luminary ceremony, which is a solemn, quiet respectful event. It went very well and the held off till it was over. Then it started coming down. My wife had already gone home and sent me a picture of the radar in a picture message to my cell phone. This was almost 10 p.m. and we were supposed to go to midnight, but we talked it over with the coordinator's husband and told him we were packing up the sound system as it was about to get rough. The teams and visitors were also at risk because of the coming storm.

So, at 10 o'clock, the call was made to shut it down and go home. We got our stuff packed up and left and about time I got home, the rain got heavy and the thunder and lightning was getting heavy.

Even so, in spite of the bad weather, we had a pretty good crowd and raised over $52,500 for the American Cancer Society. Not too bad for a small town in SW Georgia.

Today, I delivered the equipment to it's rightful place, ran some errands and grilled my girls and I a really good ribeye. Tomorrow is a typical Sunday, with praise band practice right before Sunday School. Then play in the service, lunch at the in-laws, both band practices and Sunday night services.

The Relay for Life turned out to be a success, but it could have been so much better if the weather had cooperated. I also hate that youth and adult bands didn't get to perform, especially since we worked hard to get ready for it. Oh well, there's always next year.
    Ronnie

Page 33 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast